Water Planner II at Newmont Mining Corporation
Water Planner II at Newmont Mining Corporation
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- The Water Planner is responsible for leading work efforts across multiple sites within a region. The Planner is specifically responsible for developing and documenting water management plans, designing and continuously maintaining water balances, serving as a technical resource to aid sites in water-related active management decisions and aiding sites in driving water planning decisions that minimize short-term and long-term water liabilities.
- The Water Planner will work cross-functionally with stakeholders from site, region, and center to understand water needs by function, discuss tradeoffs, and provide insight into how function decisions impact water management performance.
In This Role You Will:
- Promote safety at Newmont. Acts safely on a personal basis and encourages safe practices with others in the team.
- Perform duties as a Technical Services Water Management Representative at each of the sites allocated. Ensures that current and future potential production and water-related issues at a site are highlighted and actioned with appropriate controls incorporated into the site’s annual business plan.
- Support Site and Regional Water SteerCos, as well as a potential participant in the Global Water Strategy Team meetings.
- Actively participate in the sharing of lessons learned and best practices with respect to water planning.
- Provide mentorship and thought leadership on water management activities, tools, & processes to key site contacts.
- Manage third party consultants on the design, development, and maintenance of water balances for new and existing projects. Perform regular quality assurance / quality control (QA/QC) checks of third-party work and deliverables. Ensure insights from third-party consultants are reflected in the water management plans.
- Undertake water-related plan creation for new developments, cutbacks, or extensions of existing mines or near mine expansions, adhering to Stage Gate standard practices and ensuring that reports are prepared and delivered within the agreed upon timeframe.
- Execute project management best practices in controlling and monitoring cost and expenses for water balance projects independent of the scale of project.
- Collaborate with Projects group in brownfield and greenfield project phases.
- Aid closure function in identifying and updating water-related impacts to closure at a given site.
- Align study/project design with Newmont’s Global Water Strategy and regional water strategies, inclusive of water efficiency targets and water stewardship goals.
- Lead medium and long-term planning for water across multiple sites.
- Support the development of key performance indicators (KPIs) and TARPs, the implementation of the water dashboard and the preparation of regular water balance reports.
- Develop, document, and maintain water balance models and water management-related documentation through collaboration with third parties. Models should accurately predict current and future water variability and performance to drive better water-related decision outcomes and should follow Newmont standards and guidelines.
- Serve as an available and responsive source of expertise for sites in making water management-related active management decisions (i.e., decisions in response to changes which are temporary in nature or are within the parameter of the water management plan).
- Develop option set in conjunction with central Technical Services groups, S&ER, Planning, Closure Projects, and other functions to help sites make more informed decisions and to mitigate the creation or exacerbation of critical site water related issues. Present options to GM as a part of Site Water Team, identifying pros and cons of options, and recommend preferred option.
- Prepare documentation for water operational improvements (Investment Review Paper (IRP), Authorization for Expenditure).
- Ensure critical water data is readily available as an input into the planning processes for each site, by collaborating with the relevant site water teams as well as the central planning teams. Ensure all planning assumptions are well documented, supported and delivered on time.
- Support development of KPIs and metrics in conjunction with the site water team, region, and corporate representatives. Monitor and report changes to the dashboard including trends.
- Identify areas for improvement in alignment with Global Water Strategy, inclusive of water efficiency targets and water stewardship goals at the site.
Corporate Development/Value Assurance
- Contribute to Life of Asset (LOA) / Business Planning, Projects & Studies initiatives as they arise for each operation. Use knowledge and expertise to influence decisions that lead to better water-related strategic outcomes.
- Develop and maintain relationship with Site General Manager(s), Site Water Lead(s), Site Leadership Team(s), Site Water Team(s), Process Director(s), Regional Representative(s), and other key stakeholders to deliver exceptional business results and support for the assigned operations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key Newmont functions linked to the Technical Services Water group, such as other Technical Services, Sustainability and External Relations, Planning, Closure & Projects.
- Develop relationships with external consultants that benefit Newmont project development activities.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor of Science / Engineering in Mineral Processing, Civil or Chemical Engineering, Hydrology, Hydrogeology, Aqueous Geochemistry, or post graduate qualification for other undergraduate disciplines.
- Minimum of 5-7 years in water management-related issues within the metals & mining sector. Experience in gold/copper mining will be an advantage.
- Experience with water balance modeling (including volumes and chemistry) including creation, maintenance, and updates is viewed as a strong asset. Prior experience with GoldSim and PHREEQC is preferred.
- Operational, process development, or laboratory experience with demonstrated water improvements implemented. Preferably production planning activities for part thereof.
- Experience with monitoring programs (design, implementation, data interpretation) in Metallurgical, Hydrology, Hydrogeology and / or Geochemistry environments.
- Demonstrated capabilities and experiences in Project Management.
- Prior experience in mining sector project processes (e.g., stage gating, working in multidisciplinary teams, driving change management).
- Experience in risk assessment and facilitated decision making processes (e.g., Multiple Accounts Analysis).
- Demonstrates the ability to solve problems through innovation and ‘outside the box’ thinking.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Capability to provide mentorship and thought leadership to site water personnel.
- Proficient in analysis and interpretation of data. Able to demonstrate data analytics capabilities.
- Ability to manage a path to resolution despite conflicting goals of various functions and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated personal commitment to health and safety.
- Demonstrates the ability to influence Superintendents, Managers and other key stakeholders.
- Write technical papers and able to present on topics related to water management processes and water technologies at conferences, workshops, and/or Newmont events.
- Must have valid vehicle drivers’ license and an international drivers’ license for same, or ability to obtain this.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office suite, database management (particularly MP5, SAP).
- Language skills in multiple languages, particularly those relevant to the region and sites being recruited for, is viewed favorably.
- Act professional and show respect.
- Assertive and influential.
- Customer focused.
- High level of integrity and trustworthiness.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Reliable and independent.
- Safety conscious.
- Show initiative, be results driven and proactive.
- Strong attention to detail and deliver high levels of accuracy.
- The position will report to Denver Corporate office but may sit regionally. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- This position may require travels.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 24th August. 2022
Search more jobs click here