Mechanical Technician at TAQA Ghana
Mechanical Technician at TAQA Ghana
- Work safely by complying with TICO health and safety policy and procedures and demonstrate good safety awareness by reporting safety observations and near misses
• Inspects and repairs valves (all pressures), compressors, fans, blowers, heat exchangers, pumps, piping, turbines, gearboxes, conveyor equipment, mobile equipment and other similar equipment used in the generation of steam and electricity where certified welding is not determined to be necessary. This requires specific abilities such as:
Semi-skilled cutting and welding.
Use of dial indicators and other precision measuring devices.
Knowledge of rigging and lifting principles.
• Order, track and maintain parts inventory for plant using MAXIMO CMMS
• Performs (with assistance as needed) the maintenance of mechanical equipment by cleaning, adjusting, tightening, performing preventive or corrective maintenance and identifying equipment in need of corrective maintenance. Writes, submits, and clears corrective work orders for approval.
• Cleaning, replacing, oiling, and lubricating mechanical equipment as required.
• Assemble and test basic and complex power plant mechanical equipment using assembly drawings
• Prepare appropriate documentation (e.g., Method statement, Risk Assessment, Work Orders, etc.) for all planned and unplanned mechanical maintenance works
• Installs new mechanical equipment as required
• Take out inoperative parts by disassembling mechanical equipment with the use of cranes, hoists, hand and power tools
• Ascertain changes in dimensional requisite of parts by examining used parts and utilizing micrometers, rules, calipers, and other measuring appliances
• Oversee mechanical equipment while in operation and listen for complications using accurate testing and measuring instruments
• Assist with performing Root Cause Analysis of failures on mechanical related equipment
• Perform CMMS (Maximo) data entry and work order close-out in a thorough and timely fashion
• Assists Lead Mechanical Engineer in estimating time and man hours necessary to repair equipment.
• Operate forklifts, trucks, and other plant vehicles.
• Performs layout and fabrication work where certified welding is not necessary.
• Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
• Assists plant operating personnel as necessary.
• Performs other similar and related work.
• Carry out daily inspection of the Thermal Power Plant looking for defects and make a report to the Lead Mechanical Engineer for his information and action.
• Carry out planned preventive, running, predictive and/or breakdown maintenance so as to ensure efficient, effective, safe and uninterrupted functioning of the Thermal Plant and other equipment as well as safeguard the life span of the Plant
• Discharge of all assigned duties to meet deadlines and targets
• Any other duties that will be assigned by your supervisor to effectively support the O&M Company.
Qualification Required & Experience
- HND Mechanical Engineering (Plant Option) with 5 years industry experience
• Professional Engineering Technician (PET) and Member of Ghana institute of Engineers
Experience / Skills / Knowledge
- Experience with industrial control systems such as Distributed control systems (DCS) and/or Programmable Logic controller (PLC) systems and associated control system devices, computers, communications and networks(8 years minimum experience)
• Should have 5 years in maintenance of power generation equipment, preferably combustion turbines
• Thorough understanding of the principals of rotating equipment, thermal dynamics and machinery alignment
• Must be able and willing to work any schedule including nights and weekends
• Must be willing and able to provide clear direction to coworkers as required
• Must be able to read and understand mechanical piping drawings, equipment assembly drawings, technical manuals and other similar documents
• Demonstrates the ability to make competent decisions in emergency situation
• Adapt at troubleshooting and diagnosing problems with mechanical equipment with the ability to apply a resolution in a timely fashion
• Proficient at repairing, replacing, dismantling and inspecting detective plant equipment and parts such as pumps, value, fans, gearboxes, demineratizers, compressors and turbine components
• Capable of operating welding and cutting equipment and completes metal fabrication projects
• Capable of setting up and operating a drill press, pipe threading machine, grinder and other various tools to make and repair parts and equipment
• Must be able to understand and comply with the rules, policies, procedures, etc that apply to this job
• Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
Professional & Personal Competencies / Leadership Traits
- Understanding Automatic Control
• Leads and champions safety in all aspects of their work
• Exemplify integrity – work effectively with peers and teams in a variety of contexts and situations
• Pursues and expects excellence
• Identifies and recommended process improvements in own working environment
• Is an effective communicator
• Good troubleshooting skills
• Analytical skills
• Explores and supports new approaches to add value
• Support colleagues in implementing changes
• Aligns own working practices to changed processes and points-out opportunities and risks
• Face up to change structures and is ready to learn and change
• Builds up formal and informal relationships
• Exchanges ideas and both actively seeks and is open to constructive feedback
• Assume responsibility and is a role model for peers
• An attitude that naturally seeks continual improvement
• An enthusiasm for learning
How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidate should send their resume to:
All applicants should use the Job Title and their names as the subject for the emails.
Closing Date: 30 September, 2022